58 % of the vineyards of Medoc Listrac follow an environmental approach
A natural spirit pervades this vineyard and has done for many years but 2014 will be a turning point thanks largely to the deployment of the Environmental Management System (EMS).
One of the characteristics of the vineyard is a forest belt which provides a protective barrier and a source of natural biodiversity. The winemakers have been committed to preserving nature and reducing their environmental impact for several years.
567 ha of vines in production
20 wine estates
1 wine cooperative
242 ha under the EMS
73 ha under AREA
17 ha Bio (with or without certification)
Everyone behind the EMS
EMS, known to insiders as the initials of the ISO 14001 standard is a management tool to improve environmental performance. After a phase of evaluation of activities, the winegrowers set targets to progressively and sustainably reduce their environmental impacts. The CIVB -Interprofessional wine organisation of Bordeaux – has made available the standard but no other vineyard has responded as enthusiastic and massively as the vineyard Listrac -Médoc.
42 % of the area and 70% of the production of Listrac- Medoc is committed of which half were already certified in 2013.
Some rules of the EMS :
– Reduction of consumption of water, energy, waste water and waste
– Sorting and recycling of waste
– Protection of the health of employees, residents and consumers
– Integration of all employees into good environmental practices
– To find out all about the EMS of the CIVB: http://bit.ly/16hwiYh
EMS but not only that!
The winemakers are not limited to the EMS only. Here is a non-exhaustive list of actions taken, planned and committed investments:
– reduction of phytosanitary (agricultural chemical) inputs (for some winemakers decreases from 50% to 100%)
– reduction of the carbon footprint by using lightweight recycled glass
– wastewater treatment (winery, washing area for agricultural equipment) and sorting of waste
– saving energy and using renewable sources like wind, solar
This approach shows a willingness by the winegrowers to change their daily habits and even if the road is still long, it is the beginning of building a natural future for Listrac-Médoc.